A Gimps View From The North

My very own space for political rantings and ravings to be kept separate from Gimp House

Thursday, August 30

SHOULD NOT WATCH NEWS

I really should not watch the evening news. It is not good for my blood pressure, or the TV itself. I have no idea how I controlled the urge to throw something at the TV last evening or how I came out of it without another stroke or heart attack.
We really have lost any claim to being members in good standing of the human race, never mind any claim to any moral high ground on any issue.
For some inexplicable reason refugees from Darfur have arrived here by way of Egypt. And what have we done with them? We have built two tent cities in the desert near a pre existing prison, separated the men from their wives and children and locked them all up. Why? I don't know because no actually asks that question. They just report on the conditions and that those people have no access to anything other than their jailers, no phones, no TV, no radios, no nothing.
I don't know who those poor folks are; if they are Muslims, Christians, or whatever. I do know that they are human beings who managed to escape the killing ground their country has become and against all the odds and reason made the mistake of finding their way here, where they have been locked up like animals. Actually, the animals in our zoos have better living conditions.
Some of them have actually been granted permission to leave the tent camp if they have an Israeli willing to take responsibility for them, but they have no way to make contact with anyone outside of their own camp, and they can't even read the letter informing them of that. They have to rely on a translation by an officer who doesn't have enough English to make a comprehensible translation.
I was so upset by the way we are handling these refugees that I actually vibrated from rage for a good half hour after the news.
I'm not quite sure what the answer is to this, but at the very least, if they must be 'held' they should be in something other than tents in two different places separated from their families. It also ran through my mind that at least some of them could be employed by some of us cripples until I remembered that this could be bad for those of us who run dodgy agencies to supply us with 'foreign care givers'. Finding a humane solution will most likely run aground on the shoals of more than one special interest group and everything will be left as it is until someone finds a way to exploit them.
And I have no doubt that we will expect better from the world when we turn into refugees ourselves, when we get ourselves exiled yet again. This sorry episode is bringing that day ever closer at warp speed.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's right. Stop watching the news. I have and I sleep better being totally ignorant of all the craziness that goes on in this world. I hate to have come to that end, but the news just about gives me an artery burst these days.
    Good rant, PG, and I hope someone gets the sense to treat these poor people better at some point.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Purplegimp said…

    I really should stop watching the news, and if I can't quit the main evening boredcast, maybe I'll be able to get away with watching just one of the 5 minute quick fixes they have several times a day for us addicts.
    I'm still twitching from last night.
    I did actually have an idea for a way that I might be able help on a very small scale and have sent a mail to the relevant person. If anything comes of it, I'll be sure to post the whole story.
    I'm not overly optimistic that anything will come of my idea as the do gooder agencies all have their own agendas and solutions are not always on them.
    Cynical? Who me?

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate to make it unanimous, but when it does not deliver ANYTHING of encouragement (including elections -- forward looking)then what is the use? Entertainment maybe?

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Purplegimp said…

    I am getting better at not watching the news, but it's a battle. Would coverage of the Pepperhawks count as watching news or just voyeurism?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home